• Human Resource Dimensions

What should I do if an employee moves to a different state and will be working from there?

Answer from Emily, SPHR:

There are several things you need to do if an employee moves out of state:

  • If you don’t already have other employees there, you’ll need to set up payroll tax accounts in the new state. The state in which the employee physically works is the state used for state income tax withholding, unemployment tax contributions, and the like.

  • Update your employee handbook with any new state laws that apply. This is typically done with a state-specific addendum. Provide the updated handbook to the employee.

  • Review that state’s new hire paperwork requirements. Update forms used if necessary.

  • Provide the employee with any required employment law posters for that state.

  • Notify your workers’ compensation carrier and your health insurance carrier, if applicable.

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

When reviewing retention rates, employers often focus solely on why employees choose to leave the company. However, doing so ignores potentially valuable data on why employees would decide to stay. To